Pages

November 7, 2014

When Inspiration Doesn't Strike

What to do when inspiration doesn't strike

This past week I have learned that you can't force inspiration.

No matter how many times I turned on an inspiring playlist or got comfortable with a pen and paper, I always found myself staring at a blank page or an empty screen.

I had no idea how to continue.

I didn't even know how to start.

When inspiration is lacking, I have learned that change is often the answer. Go out of your element. Seek out a new environment. Try a bustling coffee shop or a picnic table at your nearby park. Listen to the sounds around you and observe your surroundings. Don't worry about writing or checking another item off of your to-do list.

Spend some time with yourself. Turn off your phone and spend at least a half hour sitting, standing or walking in a peaceful place.

Take a break from the familiar.

Inspiration will come. It may come slowly or it may come all at once, but it will eventually come. And when inspiration does strike? When you get a new idea or figure out exactly what you've been trying to say? You'll know. You'll feel it in your soul and in your bones.

This weekend, take a few hours to slow down and listen to what life is telling you. 

You have what you need. 

Now go be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...