Pages

December 1, 2014

What I Learned from Not Writing a Book

As many of you know, I spent the month of November participating in Nanowrimo, National Novel Writing Month.

It feels like November 1st was yesterday. I still remember huddling up in my room and typing the first few words of my novel.

But then something happened.

I lost interest.

Losing interest is typical when writing a long piece. I continued to move forward, writing detailed scenes and long patches of dialogue. I was up on the word count I was doing well.

Until I woke up one morning and realized that my resistance to writing the novel didn't have to do with procrastination or writer's block.

My resistance had everything to do with passion.

I didn't like what I was writing. Although the concept excited me, as I started the piece every word felt like a struggle. I felt like I was lying to my readers. My characters lacked strength and my writing lacked soul.

I know now that I have to write what sets my soul on fire. Unfortunately, that novel was not it. But I am convinced that I am a better, more organized writer because of it. In the future, my aim is to truly write words that will inspire you, my readers, to live lives that you love.

I hope you are spending your time today doing something that sets your soul on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...