Pages

September 15, 2014

The Benefits of Slowing Down



I'll be the first to admit that I am not a patient person. I have always prided myself on getting things done quickly, whether it be finishing work in class or writing an article for work.

But there is a reason why slow and steady wins the race.

Last week my coworker pulled me aside and pointed out some mistakes I made on a story. I was mortified. Most of the mistakes were spelling or grammar errors. They were things I would have caught...if I hadn't been going so fast.

For the next story, I took my time and made each change deliberately. I thought about each choice before I made it. Did it take me longer? Yes. But did I finish with a much better story? Yes.

Slowing down is also important when it comes to your health.

Once, in college, I decided that I wanted to try to go vegan. I went to the store and bought fake cheese, threw out all of my non-vegan food and went cold turkey.

And guess what?

After a few days I was chowing down on a burger.

Why did that happen?

It's because I went too fast. I was looking at the endgame, but I wasn't taking the time to establish a good foundation before I started my journey.

Now I've been focusing on taking small, deliberate steps to improve my personal and physical health. I have a set morning routine. I drink more water and I'm starting to phase sodas out of my life (Diet Coke, I'll miss you.) A few weeks ago I focused on eating at least one 'good' meal a day and now I'm working my way to two 'good' meals.

Is it working?

Yes!

So the next time you're working on something, whether it be for yourself or for your work, don't be afraid to take your time. Establish a good, strong foundation before starting something new. Good work is always better than rushed work.


What about you? What things in your life deserve a little more of your time? Tell me in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacklyn, saw this post from Bloglovin'. Yes, I have to agree. Sometimes, I am guilty of rushing things in my work, then realizing I have a couple of cringe-worthy mistakes in the report. So embarrassing. My take on this is to first patiently focus on doing your tasks right before doing it fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Focus on doing your tasks right before doing them fast - I love that! And it's so true. Nothing good ever comes from rushing! Thank you so much for your comment, Jaz!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...